Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Documentary Review: Bullied

Today in SPED 200 we watched the movie Bullied, and as a future teacher I was horrified to see how Jamie Nabozney was treated at school, a place where he should have been safe. This type of harassment should not happen at school, and it is very sad to think about the length of time Jamie endured it. Every child has the right to a safe education, and the school administration should have made sure that was the case for Jamie Nabozney. School bullying is a real problem, and very relevant in education today. I think this movie has made me realize just how serious this issue really is. It has also made me realize that when I am a teacher, I am going to do my best to make sure that bullying doesn't happen in my class, or anywhere at school. I think children should be taught how damaging bullying can be. Not just to children who are gay, but any child living with harassment. I think this movie will be a great teaching tool to educate children about bullying, and the effects it can have on someone’s life. Growing up is hard enough, but when a child is targeted, for whatever  reason, that is the kind of pressure that can lead to suicide. Luckily, Jamie's story did not end that way. He got the help he needed to fight back, have his day in court, and win. What a wonderful outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment