Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Documentary Review: Speaking in Tongues

The DVD called, Speaking in Tongues, is a documentary surrounding four students who are enrolled in public school immersion programs in San Francisco. This documentary is based on the importance for students to speak more than one language in the 21st Century. The concept of immersion programs in public schools is a controversial topic.
My first impression of the concept, immersion programs in public schools, is that I think would be an incredible way to become bilingual. We are hearing more and more about the need for us to understand other nations and cultures, and I think learning non-English languages is part of it. I believe that there is value in being bilingual.  And what better time to do than when they are young? Young children are so eager to learn, and their brains are like sponges, they soak up any information given to them. I think being bilingual is going to be a valuable asset for these children when they enter the job market. They will possess a skill that will help them excel in the 21st Century. I really think if I had to opportunity for my children to take advantage of an immersion program, I would not hesitate. As long as they continued to read and write in English as well, I think it would be a wonderful opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, being bilingual would greatly help people in finding jobs. The only reason I think people are not putting their kids in these programs is they are scared that their child will fall behind or they will not be able to speak english as well as other children. But if what they video said is true, the children well not only be able to speak english just as well as people who only learn one language but they will also have an upper hand in todays world.

    ReplyDelete