Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Kind of Teacher I Aspire to Become

I think one of the best qualities a teacher can have is caring if they make a difference in a child's life. That is what the bottom line is for me.  I still remember my favorite teacher in high school, Mr. Provo. Mr. Provo was an incredible teacher, and his daughter happened to be one of my good friends.  He taught OEA, Office Education of America, and I was in his class. In his class we formed our own businesses, learned how to balance a business checkbook, and many other practical things that you need to know how to do in real life. He had so much confidence in me, more confidence than I had in myself.  He always wanted me to go to college. He would tell me to go to college and make some professor happy. I did not go to college until 20 years later, long after Mr. Provo had died, but I never forgot his words to me. I always wish I could tell him better late than never Mr. Provo.  It is not everyday that a teacher will touch your life in some way, as he did mine, but that is what I want to do as a teacher. I want to touch my student’s lives in some way, and I want to make a difference. I want to display the same confidence in them that Mr. Provo had in me. I want them to know that they can do anything, and help them strive to accomplish their goals.

My education is very important to me, and it is the number one priority in my life with the exception of my children. I am a non-traditional student who did not step foot in a college until twenty years after high school. I was scared to death, to say the least. While I regret not going to college much earlier in my life, I am proud that I took this step. It was a huge step in my life, and now my mission is to get my degree.  I have many aspects of my life that make this challenging such as three sons and work, but I work hard to make it work. I am on my second year of college and I plan to stay the course to obtain my degree. My goal is to learn as much as I can from my classes along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment